Making authentic Sicilian Cannoli could not be simpler with “Cannoli di Sicilia” ready made cannoli shells FROM SICILY! As with many of our recipes, simplicity seems to be always best, would you agree? If you have the very best ingredients, use them and just get out of the way. In this case, taking the time to make a batch of “Homemade Ricotta” is well worth it and it really is soooo easy!
Once the ricotta is made, pass it through a fine sieve with a spoon to get it nice and creamy…this is the traditional method of creaming ricotta but feel free to try out your own method.
In our research, sugar didn’t arrive on the scene in Italy until the 1400’s so we decided to omit it in this recipe and use what would have been available at that time instead. Honey. You’ll find many different things added to cannoli filling but ours is simple and sublime. Give it a try and let us know! Buon Appetito!
n.b. you may substitute Bertolini vanilla with 2 vanilla beans scraped or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Add honey to your desired taste. If making Homemade Ricotta, let it drain in a sieve for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- 2 cups of Homemade Ricotta
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 package of vanillin powder* Cucina della Nonna Vanillina 2X 0.5gr
- 15 cannoli shells Etna Gelo Mini Sicilian Cannoli Shells 24pc 180gr
- 2 tablespoons of dark chocolate Perugina Luisa Dark Chocolate Bars 99.2gr grated
- icing sugar for dusting
- Make a batch of Homemade Ricotta or use store-bought.
- Pass 2 cups of ricotta through a fine sieve with a spoon
- Add honey and vanilla to creamed ricotta and stir well
- Fill cannoli shells with ricotta cream using a piping bag or utensil
- Sprinkle ends with dark shaved chocolate
- Dust cannoli with icing sugar