There are many many names for this Christmas desert, Struffoli (Naples, Sicily) Pignolata (Calabria), Cicerchiata (Abruzzi) to name a few. Of course variations are many as well, this is a very simple version that is both delicious and easy to make.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil Aurora Extra Virgin Olive Oil 750ml
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of sea salt Aurora Fine Sea Salt 1kg
- 1 1⁄2 cups of flour Polselli Italian Flour Type 00 Classica 1kg bag
- 1 cup of honey
- grapeseed oil Aurora Grapeseed Oil 750ml for frying
- coloured confetti optional
- - In a mixing bowl beat eggs with oil & salt
- - Add flour a little at a time
- - Consistency to be soft but not too sticky, (add or hold back flour as necessary)
- - Knead together a few min. until smooth
- - Let dough rest 15 min.
- - Divide dough into small sections
- - Roll sections into ½” thick ropelike strands
- - Cut into small balls using slight diagonal cuts
- - Fry chick pea sized balls until lightly golden 2-3 min.
- - Transfer to paper towels & let cool
- - Warm honey until liquified in a large pan
- - Add struffoli being sure to coat them well
- - Transfer to a serving dish
- - Sprinkle with icing sugar or confetti sprinkles